feed the recruiters?

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 6 15:36:15 EDT 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 12:06:33 -0400
"Martin Owens" <doctormo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Well I think that you are right there,
>=20
> I'd ask them not to contact you again, that your currently not
> interested in a position and you would be delighted to call them back
> in several years when you have need of their services.
>=20

As a long time contractor, in the past I always kept contact. I've also
been amused how many of these agencies don't even talk among
themselves. I was once called by a headhunter from an agency that had
recently placed me. In my case I normally tell them that I'm on a
contract and to call me back in 6 months.=20

> This wouldn't be so bad if companies would just use some kind of
> central tool for posting jobs.

Welcome to democracy :-)
Many times, it is a manger who has a req, and that manager may deal
only with a limited number of head hunters. I had a comical experience
with HP a few years ago. I was dealing with a manager who wanted to
hire me. He had me call the firm that contact labor had been outsourced
to. The lady at that firm was an idiot because she gave me information
I should not have had. In any case, she gave me the req number and 5
agencies to call to negotiate my best deal. 2 agencies never returned
my call even though I had the req number. With the remaining 3, I
called, and was able to negotiate my rate up a bit. The one I went with
had an excellent benefit package.=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9