Pickin' a processor

David Kramer david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 02:17:37 EDT 2007

I'm gearing up to build a new server to replace my existing one.  My
Athlon XP 2400+ was plenty good til I got MythTV.  My PVR-350 is doing
the encoding for me, but since my server's doing so many other
things[0], I'm getting dropped frames, and if I try to burn a DVD while
MythTV is recording, I occasionally have system lockups.

At the very least I need to go dual core, so I can really do real
multiprocessing, and MythTV won't starve the rest of the system, and
vice verse.  While I'm at it, I want to up the speed at least a little,
but I think my real gain will be from going dual core.

The Intel website is very good at giving you the specs of their
processors, letting you compare them, and even select by feature.  The
AMD website, on the other hand, doesn't even have a page describing the
difference between Athlon and Opteron, let alone individual chips.  I
now understand that AMD uses a direct connection to memory instead of
classic FSB, which also makes comparisons hard, but their pages don't
talk about L2 cache, which also confuses me.  Is that also not needed
with the way they access memory?

So what advice can you give me?  It looks like the chips I'm interested
in are around $200, and I'm OK with that, as long as it performs.

Oh, and are there any particular montherboards I should run to or from
these days?  I know there have always been boards with funky chipsets or
other hardware that have thrown Linux for a loop.

Thanks in advance.

[0] This box is also my firewall, postfix, dovecot, Apache, subversion,
mailman, and home automation server.  Running multiple computers is not
an option for me, as I've said in the past.

believed to be clean.