Comcast Digital Voice infrastructure?

Scott Ehrlich scott-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 07:57:58 EDT 2007

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 16:22:55 -0400 (EDT)
> Scott Ehrlich <scott-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks to all who responded.  They told me they are going with Comcast.
>> RCN had switched them to DVR boxes (they have been with RCN for 7 years).
>> With the digital non-DVR boxes, they never had problems.  With the new
>> boxes, they have problems, went some rounds with RCN, and in the end, RCN
>> claims their tv is at fault which, until RCN switched the boxes, their tv
>> worked fine.  So, they are opting to go with Comcast and hope for better
>> service.
>
> Comcast uses both DVR and regular digital boxes or no boxes at all.
> Both the DVR and digital boxes I have have an RF out port. If the TV
> works with regular broadcast, it should work with cable.

Absolutely.   The tv does work fine (unless it recently died, but it is
about 10 years old, and has shown no signs of dying).

I'm going to guess the problem is with the dvr, and that they may have the
same issues with either comcast or rcn.  I'm also going to presume they
are looking to buy better service/support (rcn vs comcast), beyond when I
can come by and help.  I am their lifetime support/service person, except
for when I'm busy and can't visit :-)   I'm going to visit today, so I
presume I'll either discover the problem is beyond my ability and with
rcn and/or their new box, or I'll resolve it for them through a view
clicks and maybe some re-cabling.

Scott

> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
> Boston Linux and Unix user group
> http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9
> PGP Key fingerprint:053C 73EC 3AC1 5C44 3E14 9245 FB00 3ED5 C506 1EA9

believed to be clean.