Anyone Actually Using Virtual Linux Servers?

Ward Vandewege ward-3KHz9by4hz4 at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 10:42:50 EDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 10:33:17AM -0400, Kent Borg wrote:
> Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> > The largest bottleneck was the hard disk IO.  I would recommend that
> > if the servers are somewhat active, you consider not assigning more
> > than four guests per physical disk access (NO RAID MULTI-ACCESS, or
> > divide this figure).
>
> I am running SW raid 1, on the theory that it is about as fast to write
> and sometimes faster to read.  And more reliable.

Yeah - rebuilding a sw-raid 1 array seems to be considerably less stressful
than rebuilding a sw-raid 5 array. If your disks are aging a bit, and one
disk in a raid 5 array dies, I've seen other drives fail during the raid5
rebuild on a couple of occasions - which is of course fatal. I've never seen
this happen during a raid1 rebuild (knock on wood :).

One of the reasons why raid6 is better. Or raid11 of course!

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(   "We Are the Stakeholders - DRm is Theft." -- Ruben    )-
Virtual hosting -(                          Safir                          )-

believed to be clean.