Anyone Actually Using Virtual Linux Servers?

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 9 12:25:46 EDT 2007

On 9/9/07, Kent Borg <kentborg-KwkGvOEf1og at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I might have been tempted to run vmware but when I earlier played with
> the early free versions, it was a lumpy experience, it must have been a
> beta, I remember something like being forced to keep downloading updates
> as they shut off the previous version, but I forget the details.  Plus,
> when I sent them a resume' they never even said "No thank you".  Pushes
> me back to open source.

If you run Ubuntu, VMware Server is in the commercial repositories, so
you don't have to worry about updates or third-party patches any more.
 About not being open source, yes it is something to consider.  Use it
when necessary.  If you need to modify the code, you will be out of
luck with VMware, unless you patch the binaries like I had to do once
:-)

And about working for them, now would be the best time to ping VMware
again.  Since their IPO, and even before it, they went out looking for
people.  That's how you could tell the VMware IPO was going to be
strong -- they started pulling a lot of high-profile engineers away
from other companies in the 6 months leading up to the announcement.
They nabbed one of my co-workers from Cisco, and almost nabbed me too.
 If you want me to put you in touch with them, send me a private email
stating so, and I can forward you the guy's info.  He emailed me first
a few months before the IPO...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen

believed to be clean.