Pickin' a processor

Mark J. Dulcey mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 10 01:21:17 EDT 2007

Matthew Gillen wrote:

> Honestly, at this point I just want to learn a single vendor's
> numbering/naming scheme so that I can keep my sanity.  Nvidia's system is
> maddening (who would think that a 7800 is a /much/ better card than a
> 8400?), I can't imagine ATI's system is much better.

The video card system actually isn't all that bad. The first digit tells
which generation of hardware it is (a slight wrinkle from ATI, x, x1,
and x2 count as first "digits"), and the rest gives some idea of the
performance level of the card (higher is better). They do muddy the
waters a b it with suffixes; for example, a GTX card is faster than a
GTS which is faster than a GT which is faster than a GS, and an LE card
is always the worst. But it's a little easier to sort out than the CPUs
right now.

As for those first digits:

Current hardware is 8-series from NVidia and X2 from ATI. These have
full DirectX 10 support. Most models also have HDCP outputs (required
for BluRay and HD-DVD support, not that either of those are a factor for
Linux at this time) and hardware MPEG4 and H.264 decoding (lower CPU
load when playing video). Oddly, it's the HIGH END models that lack the
hardware video decoding! There is also a major architectural change;
these designs have moved toward generalized GPU elements rather than
dedicated vertex and pixel processing units. Among other things, this
will make them much better performers for applications that use the GPU
as a math coprocessor -- yes, people are doing that now, because current
GPUs are very high performance parallel floating point computation engines.

The previous generation is NVidia 7 and ATI X1. Complete DirecX 9 and
OpenGL support, including fully programmable vertex and fragment
shaders, but not full DirectX 10.

Before that were the NVidia 6 and ATI X series. Support most DX9 and
OpenGL features; full vertex shaders, but fragment shaders had some
limitations.

Anything earlier than that is a card that you don't even want to think
about buying now for any system where you care about video capabilities.

Newer generations of cards tend to perform a bit better than older ones
at any given level, though in most cases the gains are modest. Notable
exception: the NVidia 8800, especially the GTX version, is considerably
faster than its predecessors. Linux support for the NVidia 8 series was
very shaky for a while, but I think they have sorted it out by now.

believed to be clean.