Anyone Actually Using Virtual Linux Servers?

Kent Borg kentborg-KwkGvOEf1og at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 10 13:52:58 EDT 2007

Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> I didn't see any Qemu hands go up in the crowd.  Looks like I am
>> pioneering again.
>
> Not exactly... Xen makes use of some qemu bits, and kvm basically *is*
> qemu + patches to support full hardware virtualization. :)

But I didn't see a lot of:

  Oh, yes, I run gaggle of virtual servers using
  Qemu.  It's easy!  Everyone does these days.

Most users of virtualization seem to use it for running Windows and for
experiments.  Running critical services seems much rarer.  (Though less
so with vmware users.)

> The Red Hat-produced Virtual Machine Manager (aka virt-manager) actually
> supports qemu guest management now.

That looks cool.  I don't see it as part of Ubuntu (yet), but I'll have
to take a look anyway.

Progress: At the moment I am sending all of my incoming e-mail to my
Qemu guest.  It is running spamassassin on it (never braved that with my
old qmail box) and forwarding things that should be forwarded.  However,
I am sending all local messages on to my old box, and imap is still
pointing at it.  I can flip the router back to deliver to the old box at
any moment.  Qemu seems to handle the volume I get with no problems.
I'll let it run this for a while with my old box as an immediate fall
back.

Thanks,

-kb

believed to be clean.