Anyone Actually Using Virtual Linux Servers?

Jarod Wilson jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 10 17:28:03 EDT 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007 04:42:50 pm Kent Borg wrote:
> Kent Borg wrote:
> >> The Red Hat-produced Virtual Machine Manager (aka virt-manager) actually
> >> supports qemu guest management now.
> >
> > That looks cool.  I don't see it as part of Ubuntu (yet), but I'll have
> > to take a look anyway.
>
> Dang, virt-manager looks like it is GUI-only.  This is a server I am
> trying to keep lean.  My logic for why I can do this at all hinges
> largely on saying that I am not running X, and imagine how much
> horsepower *that* frees up!  I suppose I could "ssh -X" and run it that
> way, but still, there are a whole lot of packages necessary to do that.
>  I want to keep the host simpler than that.  (Every package is a
> potential security hole, and the host is the most sensitive.)
>
> Xen (it was fun while it lasted) has a pretty nice utility "xm".  It is
> a text utility, it would know what machines I had, start and stop them
> on request, tell me their state, not start the same machine twice, let
> me attach to the "serial" console, suspend and resume them, etc.  It
> might have been part of the guests being suspended automatically on host
> shutdown (provided I gave a big enough "-T"-value).
>
> There is nothing like this for the various Qemu's?  Or, will I be
> accreting my version as someone else is building the standard one?
>
> Shocking, I know, I want text-based tools for managing a server!

I believe what you want then is virt-install and virsh. The former is part of
the package python-virtinst on Fedora/RH for installing guests via cli, the
latter is part of libvirt, and gives you (at least a decent subset of)
xm-alike functionality, for xen, kvm, qemu, etc.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org

believed to be clean.