RAID6? (was Re: Anyone Actually Using Virtual Linux Servers?)

Jack Coats jack-rp9/bkPP+cDYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 11 15:00:18 EDT 2007

Backups like all insurance policies, are things we 'must have' to be
responsible, but NEVER want to use!

Are there some RAID6 hardware (Adaptec or such) controller products
that someone would recommend?

Quoting Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>:

> On Tuesday 11 September 2007 01:39:36 pm Jack Coats wrote:
>> Raid6 sounds like a reasonable upgrade from Raid5
>>
>> But as I have seen deomonstrated many times, no RAID level is better
>> than good, tested, verified, backups to another medium in case of a
>> 'worst case scenario'.
>
> I don't argue against that. I have backups, but I'd rather not have to
> use 'em, and RAID6 over RAID5 lessens the chance I'd have to.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org

--
Fax 1-630-214-5954

http://www.drbackup.net?pid=coats by Dr.Backup safeguards your valuable
documents with an automatic nightly backup over the Internet. FREE trial

A man who tells the truth, has to remember nothing.
  -- Mark Twain

       Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

    -- Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's
       third law)

believed to be clean.