RAID6? (was Re: Anyone Actually Using Virtual Linux Servers?)

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 11 15:26:57 EDT 2007

On 9/11/07, Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 September 2007 12:37:03 pm Derek Atkins wrote:
> > IIRC:  http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt
>
> Huh, interesting. I'll have to file that one away for a rainy day...

Oh, that's a classic read!  Yes, in fact after many personal bad
experiences with RAID, that "NO RAID NO RAID NO RAID" paper got my
attention and hit home.  And it pretty much reinforced my negativity
associated with people who claim "RAID CURES ALL DATA LOSS
SCENARIOS!!!" ... but I am willing to give RAID6 a shot based on
Jarod's recommendation.  If I lose my data, that will be the last
straw though ... and then I will have to personally fly back east to
Red Hat and strangle Jarod :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen

believed to be clean.