Pickin' a processor

David Kramer david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 12 01:44:07 EDT 2007

Tom Metro wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
>> I'm gearing up to build a new server to replace my existing one.
>> So what advice can you give me?
>
> While the advice you'll get on this list is useful, there's no
> substitute for doing some primary research using hardware review sites
> like Anand's Hardware Tech Page[1], Tom's Hardware Guide[2], and
> countless others.
>
> The information changes too often, so unless the person giving you their
> opinion has done the research themselves within the last 3 months, I'd
> take it with a grain of salt.
>
> Start by researching CPUs in your price range, then move on to
> compatible motherboard recommended by the sites. Finally, I'd confirm
> the lab reviews with end-user reviews at a merchant site like NewEgg[3].
>
> 1. http://www.anandtech.com/
> 2. http://www.tomshardware.com/
> 3. http://www.newegg.com/

I'm not ignoring you guys; I'm off doing research.  I settled on the
Intel E6750 (1333 MHz  65 nm  G0 stepping  4 MB L2  LGA775), now looking
at motherboards.  Looks like there's some pretty flaky ones out there.

Thanks again.  I'll post in a day or two with more info and/or questions.

believed to be clean.