Pickin' a processor

Brian J. Conway bconway-mkieixxH3ob2fBVCVOL8/A at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 12 07:58:50 EDT 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 01:44:07 -0400
David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I'm not ignoring you guys; I'm off doing research.  I settled on the
> Intel E6750 (1333 MHz  65 nm  G0 stepping  4 MB L2  LGA775), now
> looking at motherboards.  Looks like there's some pretty flaky ones out
> there.

Those are very nice, I'm a big fan of the Intel Q6600, at $266 the power/price ratio is fantastic.

For motherboards, I'd suggest taking a look at the Intel-branded motherboards.  For the non-overclocker (myself), they've been extremely reliable, reasonably priced, and always prompt with BIOS updates.  Either way, I think the big thing you need to watch out for is that only the very latest distributions currently support the ICH9 SATA chipset, so depending on board and distribution, you may need to do an install in "compatibility" mode followed by kernel recompile.

Brian J. Conway

believed to be clean.