Pickin' a processor

Jonathan D. Arnold / Daemon Dancing jdarnold-Xst6pqGrDNhg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 12 09:55:50 EDT 2007

David Kramer wrote:
> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 01:44:07 -0400
>> David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not ignoring you guys; I'm off doing research.  I settled on the
>>> Intel E6750 (1333 MHz  65 nm  G0 stepping  4 MB L2  LGA775), now
>>> looking at motherboards.  Looks like there's some pretty flaky ones
>>> out there.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.  I'll post in a day or two with more info and/or
>>> questions.
>>
>> There has been a lot of discussion on the SuSE lists about ASUS mother
>> boards. I haven't really read them, but the SuSE archives might be
>> useful.
>
> I'll look, but do you remember if they were mostly pro or con?

I just built a computer and used the Q6600 Core Duo Quad in a Gigabyte
motherboard, purchased at Microcenter. When I was in there, the sales guy
talked me out of the Asus board, saying that it was much more picky with
the brand of memory used as well as having something of a reputation for
setting themselves on fire:-) Now, I've run a couple of Asus without the
fire problem, but the Gigabyte was cheaper and also something I've had good
luck with in the past. I hope to get a series describing my building up
on the Linux Brain Dump site soon.

And on the opensuse mailing list, the general opinion was negative, albeit
without much more than anecdotal evidence.

The drawback with the Gigabtye board (which was $25 cheaper than the on
sale by $50 Asus board) is no onboard Firewire and it isn't SLI compatible.
But I don't need either, so I was happy with the savings.

Microcenter promises "web pricing" in their stores and I have been very
happy with the prices. The Q6600 was $275 and the eVGA nVideo 8600GT was only
$150 before a $25 rebate.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold-Xst6pqGrDNhg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org)
LinuxBrainDump, Linux HowTo's and Tutorials:

Daemon Dancing in the Dark, an Open OS weblog:
    http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/

believed to be clean.