Wierd VMWare behavior

Matthew Gillen me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 09:15:50 EDT 2007

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:18:23 -0400
> "Kristian Erik Hermansen" <kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> If you place the virtual interfaces into NAT mode, DHCP shall always
>> work, because it is a locally running service...
>
> It's in NAT mode. This is why it is hard to track. The only difference
> is the specific network. At home, I have 192.168.0. and at work it is a
> 10.
> But, I don't see why the network would have any affect in being able to
> load the VM.

IIRC, when setting up NAT mode, VMware probes for an unused network to use for
the "internal" addresses.  Could whatever it picked at home be colliding with
the work subnet?

As to why it won't load the VM: perhaps at work VMware detects that the
guest's subnet is currently in use on the host, and it bombs out?

Good luck,
Matt

believed to be clean.