Comcast, TiVO, MythTV, and cable cards

David Kramer david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 13 16:17:56 EDT 2007

> Tom Metro wrote:
>> Doug wrote:
>>> I recall seeing on slashdot that the free video list
>>> guide is going away, and a new $10 service is taking its place.
>>
>> Just to add to what Dan said, there has also been talk on the
>> MythTV-users list of a few free sources for TV listings, though if
>> Schedules Direct achieves it's $20/year target, it'll be the least
>> effort solution.
>
> SchedulesDirect's dilemma is this: they are licensing the data service
> from TMS, and this entails a large fixed fee.  The $15/3 months was a
> complete S.W.A.G number on their part, and is a one-time thing for the
> first three months.  Until they know how many customers they will have,
> they won't know how many users they can spread that large fixed cost
> across on a monthly basis.

... And almost on cue....

Today I got an email from SchedulesDirect saying they've reached their
next membership milestone, and are changing the price from $15/3 months,
to $15/6 months.  Existing members will simply have their expiration date
moved out another 6 months.  Their goal is $20/year, if they get enough
subscribers.  This is fantastic news, and a strong sign that they will be
good on their word in the future.

believed to be clean.