serial line woes -- a bit more

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 16 09:11:58 EDT 2007

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 08:50:30 -0400
"R. Luoma" <nobluspam5476-MTb9uo0rH9eJIAd+swBSYQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have two PC connected by a full-handshake RS-232 cable
> with DB-9 connectors on both ends; a traditional null-modem
> cable seems to disable hardware handshaking.  Does this mean
> that two PCs cannot use hardware handshaking?

They should be able to. The null modem cable should be fully wired with
the crossover on both the data and the control channels. You really
need to see if the RTS/CTS pins (4 and 5) on each PC actually work. The
old Alpha I had had a single 25 pin connector that actually connected
to 2 serial interfaces. I had to construct my own cable, but RTS/CTS
did work. But, it may be that one or both of the PCs just does not use
the RTS/CTS and they are dead pins. The breakout box connected directly
to the PC should tell you.=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9