NetworkManager?

Richard Chonak rac-7q86n6wRh+gPnHn3N7+5xA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 19 02:25:52 EST 2008

I've been installing kubuntu on a laptop this week, and found
KNetworkManager not helpful for my wireless setup. It could enable and
disable the wired network connection successfully, but could not
successfully configure and start a WPA-PSK connection.

I replaced it with the utility "wicd", which has worked very well.
wicd has two components: a server that is launched by an /etc/init.d/
script, and a client that need only be run when you want to change the
configuration.  Information is at http://wicd.net/ .  Nicely enough, the
  prebuilt ubuntu package for this utility automatically uninstalls
KNetworkManager.

--RC