Turning Off the Computer

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 19 11:58:59 EDT 2008

Just another aspect is to whether or not to turn off your desktop=20
system. In the past, I had used my system as a mail server, but with=20
Comcast possibly blocking port 25, there is no real need for it. There=20
was 1 theory that frequent powering up and down a computer reduces the=20
life of the hardware.  Since we are on the topic, what is the current=20
thinking on whether to turn home computers off when not in use. In my=20
case, at night since I log into it in the morning. Certainly power=20
saving technologies do save some costs.