Photo Server Software?

Derek Atkins warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 8 13:59:52 EDT 2008

Hey,

Historically I've just put up all my pictures on my own web server.
I have a perl script that builds a thumbnail and then a simple
HTML page that shows all the pictures and puts them on a page
with links to the full images.  That worked fine when my camera
was a 1.3MP Olympus I acquired in 2000.

Now that I've got an 8MP camera I'd like to try to set up something a
little nicer.  Perhaps something that will allow the viewer to see the
image at different resolutions, and would allow me to easily add
comments to the photos.  Yes, I could add comments to my current
HTML-based solution but it would be better (IMHO) to have a real
photo distribution package to upload and manage my photos.

So my question to you -- what's the best package out there to
run on my Linux/Apache server?  There appear to be no less than
a dozen choices out there, mostly in PHP.  But which is the
best in terms of functionality, speed, and security?

Thanks,

-derek

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available