Photo Server Software?

Matthew Gillen me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 8 19:12:37 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Don Levey <lug-TwWeWiF2EGRi+ztankeudA at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I tend to use Gallery2 (http://gallery.menalto.com/) though I'm not sure
>> its performance is the best.  It handles many albums (with
>> customization), comments, video, and is often embedded into other solutions.
>
> Hmm!  Gallery2 certainly looks like an interesting app.  It has
> a bunch of the features I'm looking for like intermediate image
> sizes, auto-rotation based on EXIF headers, etc.  How well does
> it work with albums with 100s of pics?  For example I just downloaded
> 650 pics from my camera from a 5-week trip.  I broke them down manually
> into about a dozen categories (based on time frames and locations).
> I probably have a few thousand photos up already that I'd want to
> transfer over eventually.

I've got 3500 pics (and growing) in my g2 install.  It worked better on my
box, but since Comshaft started paying attention to me running my own web
server, I've had to run it on a hosting server.  And there, it seems to run
out of memory a lot when generating thumbnails and such.  But I'm certain
that's more a function of me buying the cheap (shared-hosting) package.

Matt