Verizon Commercial FIOS, DNS problem with Covad DSL

Tom Metro blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 10 11:47:29 EDT 2008

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> I've had the 20M down, 5M up business package for over a year (might be
> close to 2 years now), not a second of down time...

Are you also buying a static IP? Did we get the the bottom of the terms
of service issue that was brought up on the list before? I'm still
skeptical of Verizon explicitly stating in their terms of service that
they won't block ports and will permit servers on a business class service.

I'm thinking of jumping ship from Covad DSL. I've gotten sick of their
inability to fix an intermittent problem that's be occurring
occasionally over the span of like 3 years.

Every once in a while my DNS stops working for hours at a time. Looking
into it I find that I can do queries via TCP, but normal UDP queries
result in a server timeout. This is true no matter what DNS client I use
and no matter what DNS server I target out on the net. I thought maybe
they were dropping all UDP packets, so I coded up a custom traceroute
program that uses UDP packets, and it showed normal connectivity to the
DNS servers while the problem is happening. It's almost as if they have
a transparent DNS proxy that's occasionally dying. I'd be curious to
know if anyone has a theory as to what's broken.

When the problem happens I call my local ISP that resells the Covad
service, they open a ticket with Covad, Covad takes a half day to get
around to looking at it (their policy is to respond within 24 hours to
problems affecting single customers), and by then the problem has
resolved itself. The inability to talk to Covad directly essentially
makes this problem impossible to fix.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro