BLU's server crash and data recovery

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 10 13:58:29 EDT 2008

The first thing I am going to try to do is to run dd to copy the drive
images to 2 additional 320GB drives we have.
The second thing I will do is to run Spinrite on the original drives. I
have 3 computers that use 320s, 2 are Dells with Hardware RAID and 1 is
an Intel without. Right now the drives are all in Dell carriers, so I
will try the DD under dyne-bolic. If I am unable to access the bad drive
because of the RAID controller I will then go to the Dells. If I am
successful in making copies, I will download and pay for Spinrite. It's
worth it to spend $90 of BLUs money to try the recovery. If it fails it
fails. The BLU listserv archives are for the most part backed up on
Nabble. The other 25 or so listservs with archives will be SOL. I moved
the system out of my boss' office and into a spare so I can fire up the
systems without anyone else getting ear damage (I have ear plugs).

Essentially we had 3-320GB SCSIs, but when I looked at them on the
Intel, only 2 had a partition table, so I think that 1 may be unused. In
any case I only have 2 spares. If I need to back up all 3, I'll need to
dd to another storage solution.