Photo Server Software?

jay-R5TnC2l8y5lBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org jay-R5TnC2l8y5lBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 12 10:51:04 EDT 2008

I've worked with gallery on a project for the Umass boston bio dept. Its a powerful cms with a lot of great media features. The only drawback is its use of folders for organization. Works great for a small to moderate sized sites but it starts to choke when you get into multiple thousands of albums/folders because of its relyance on folder structure rather than the db for organization.

Just a heads up and not much to worry about for most sites,because it is a great cms for photo sharing and management just not on a large scale.

------Original Message------
From: Derek Atkins
Sender: L BLU
To: Don Levey
Cc: discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org >> BLU Discussion List
Sent: Sep 8, 2008 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: Photo Server Software?

Don Levey <lug-TwWeWiF2EGRi+ztankeudA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I tend to use Gallery2 (http://gallery.menalto.com/) though I'm not sure
> its performance is the best.  It handles many albums (with
> customization), comments, video, and is often embedded into other solutions.

Hmm!  Gallery2 certainly looks like an interesting app.  It has
a bunch of the features I'm looking for like intermediate image
sizes, auto-rotation based on EXIF headers, etc.  How well does
it work with albums with 100s of pics?  For example I just downloaded
650 pics from my camera from a 5-week trip.  I broke them down manually
into about a dozen categories (based on time frames and locations).
I probably have a few thousand photos up already that I'd want to
transfer over eventually.

>  -Don

-derek

       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available