Photo Server Software?

Jason M Normand jay-R5TnC2l8y5lBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 12 21:24:30 EDT 2008

Don Levey wrote:
> jay-R5TnC2l8y5lBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
>> I've worked with gallery on a project for the Umass boston bio dept. Its a powerful cms with a lot of great media features. The only drawback is its use of folders for organization. Works great for a small to moderate sized sites but it starts to choke when you get into multiple thousands of albums/folders because of its relyance on folder structure rather than the db for organization.
>>
>> Just a heads up and not much to worry about for most sites,because it is a great cms for photo sharing and management just not on a large scale.
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by "folder structure".  The back-end of mine
> is in a MySQL database.  Are you referring to the albom/sub-album structure?
>
>  -Don

yes its the album structure.  each album is a file folder and its this
structure that organizes the media not the database.  the code actually
walks the folder structure for many actions rather than relying on
indexing in the database.  Its legacy code from gallery 1 when their was
no database.  their are ways to optimize it, such as telling it not to
read the album structure for every home page view, but it can be an
issue if you have a lot of folders on a slow server.

--
Jason M Normand

the Geek Touch - a helping hand for high tech
http://www.theGeekTouch.com

Ubuntu MA LoCo Team
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam