Video projector recommendations?

Robert La Ferla robertlaferla-Wuw85uim5zDR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 17 18:46:44 EDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 2:38 PM, John Abreau wrote:

> I've been asked to order some extra-bright video projectors, and I'm
> not having much luck finding comparisons of which are decent and
> which are crap.
>
> The projectors I have now are from 1000 lumens to 1500 lumens
> with contrast ratios of 1200:1 and better, and the new units need
> to be at least 3000 lumens and at least 1000:1 contrast, with a
> minimum native XGA resolution and able to interpolate 1280x1024.
>
> I compiled a list of projectors for my boss, and based just on the
> published specs I provided him, he highlighted the Mitsubishi XD470U-
> G,
> InFocus IN1102, Optoma EP771, and ViewSonic PJ260D, but he asked
> me to make sure they're good choices.
>
> Does anyone have experience with these models, and would you
> recommend any of them? Would you reommend avoiding any of them?
> Are there better choices you can suggest?

Hmmmm.  1000-1500 lumens is not extra bright.  Contrast ratios are
meaningless between different product lines.  You did not mention a
price range nor which aspect ratio (4:3 presumably? ).  All the decent
projectors on the market will be found online but not in stores.

Also, are these to be ceiling mounted, shelf mounted, portable on a
table?  If it is going to be ceiling mounted, you will need to
consider lens shift and keystone correction because installation can
be difficult.

My recommendation for a fixed mount projector is the Canon REALiS SX80
or similar.  3000 lumens, 4:3, LCOS, 1400x1050 (SXGA+) resolution.

For a portable projector, go for the NEC NP60, 3000 lumens, 4:3, XGA
1024x768, DLP.

For a great home theater projector, the newly released Panasonic PT-
AE3000, 1500 lumens, 16:9, 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution.