comshaft strikes again

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 10:01:35 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 09:57:20AM -0400, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Don Levey <lug-TwWeWiF2EGRi+ztankeudA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Matthew Gillen wrote:
> >> Always trying to one-up Verizon, Comcast has cut off *all* of USENET to
> >> their broadband customers:
> >> http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups
> >>
> > RCN did the same, without warning or explanation.
> >

> So who wants to run a (text only) NNTP server off of their cable modem?  :-)

I do, and so do many other people. It's more convenient to
gather a few feeds and keep the spool around than to connect to
a remote news-server and try to get articles in realtime.

leafnode is your friend.

> Actually, I wonder if anybody has ever tried to do a distributed NNTP
> service.  Maybe something like
> bittorrent?

NNTP is distributed, except at the reader <-> server end. Each
server keeps a spool of messages, along with an index of what
they have seen. They talk to all the other servers for which
connections have been arranged, and exchange all the unseen
articles in newsgroups to which they mutually subscribe.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.