comshaft strikes again

Matthew Gillen me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 15:07:23 EDT 2008

Mark Richards wrote:
> The very first statement in the FCC's "Internet Policy" reads:
>
> "To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
> interconnected nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to
> access the lawful Internet content of their choice."
>
> http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-151A1.pdf

It's a great sentiment, I too wonder how much they mean it.  I quoted that
passage in particular in my complaint to the FCC about Comcast's "no server
rule" for residential accounts.  The FCC recently sent me a letter that says
Comcast responded to that complaint by sending me a letter.  I have yet to
receive said letter from Comcast...

> I'll be writing the FCC and Congress suggesting that the clamps be
> further squeezed.  Comcast's action may well be seen as a violation of
> the basic founding principles of the public internet and the FCC's
> stated policy.

Good luck, but I think you have about as much chance of seeing movement on
that as Bob Barr has of keeping McCain and Obama off the ballot in Texas.

> Why is it that cable companies are run like organized crime rackets?  Is
> the cashflow just too good?

one word: monopoly.

Matt