Possible solution to random crashes

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 24 19:03:59 EDT 2008

On 09/24/2008 08:45 AM, Don Levey wrote:
> Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > Don't use fdisk alone to resize a Linux partition. To shrink a Linux
> > partition, you first must shrink the file system, then use fdisk. It =
is
> > better to use a tool, sich as gparted or qtparted that will do both.
> > There is an resize2fs for ext2/3.
>
> > One possibility for you is to reformat the swap partition by first
> > turning swap off with swapoff, then use mkswap on that partition. Did=

> > you my any chance change the size of the swap partition?
> > But, this also might be an indication of an impending disk failure. I=
> > any case, I would reformat the existing swap partition and see if the=
re
> > is a recurrence.
>
> Jerry,
> On /dev/sda there is/was nothing of any value except the /boot
> partition; the partition I wanted to resize was NTFS-based.  Wiping it
> was no big deal.
>
> I'd not considered reformatting the /dev/sdb-based swap partition, but =
> may do that.  I currently have swap running on /dev/sda, but it is too
> soon to tell if this resolves the problem.  I will probably do the
> reformat and switch between the two to see what (if anything) happens.
The error you posted was related to a swap failure.
The issue I addressed was that fdisk is not a good utility to use to=20
resize a file system. It only knows partitions. That is why I prefer to=20
use gparted or qtparted because they know about filesystems, and will=20
resize the filesystem.
--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846