AOL and Comcast

Laura Conrad sunny-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 28 15:51:30 EDT 2008

    Jerry> On 09/28/2008 11:11 AM, Laura Conrad wrote:

    Jerry> | Based on an informal survey at a party last night, it seems
    Jerry> | that AOL is currently bouncing all mail from Comcast
    Jerry> | addresses.  Does anyone know what's happening?  Or if there
    Jerry> | are any plans on either AOL's or Comcast's part to fix the
    Jerry> | problem?
    Jerry> |

    Jerry> AOL and other major ISPs have been blocking comcast (and
    Jerry> other cable companies') dynamic addresses. If you are sending
    Jerry> directly from your system using the IP address that Comcast
    Jerry> assigned, it will be rejected by AOL, CIS, and others. This
    Jerry> has been true for a number of years. It is one of the ways to
    Jerry> prevent SPAM.

No, that's not what I'm doing, and definitely not what the windows users
at the party were doing. I'm using smtp.comcast.net to send.

This is something that happened about a week ago; before then I was
getting my mail through fine.  As for the previous suggestion that AOL
had a comcast IP address blocked, it can't be just one IP address, but
of course it could be a range of IP addresses.  When it first happened,
mail to one of the AOL addresses I send to regularly was also being
bounced from a mindspring.net address, but that seems to have stopped
happening.

I was assuming that AOL was doing something nonstandard that it can get
away with because of being the elephant in the room, and that other
ISP's had reacted faster than the elephantine Comcast, but of course
that's pure guesswork.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary.

Brendan Behan (1923 - 1964)