eepc question

Jarod Wilson jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 11:35:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 11:17 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> You forgot to ask a question.

I was just thinking the same thing. But the answer is:

If you're thinking of getting her something eeepc-ish, screw the eeepc,
get her an Acer Aspire One. I'm quite fond of mine, and it cost me a
whopping $330 (well, $350 when you factor in the extra GB of RAM I
bought along with it to knock it out to 1.5G). Its a much more usable
system than the eeepc a co-worker has, solely on the grounds of the
keyboard being larger, enough so that someone my size -- 6'3", size 13
shoes, and hands to match -- can type on it comfortably, whereas the
eeepc I poked at was miserable. It also looks much nicer, IMO.

The stock Linpus Linux Lite might even be to her liking, and should
provide everything she needs, but you can also install a distro of your
choosing. (Mine is of course running Fedora, current devel tree).

The one caveat with installing a new distro is that the write speed on
the ssd is pretty slow, so it takes a while for something like the
traditional Fedora install, which has to rpm -i every single package.
The Ubuntu installer and the Fedora live image installer are
considerably faster, since they basically just dd an image onto the
disk.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org