help! can i recover my data?

Doug dougsweetser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 14 13:02:01 EDT 2009

Hello:

Thought I would endorse System Rescue CD as a good disk to have around.

I have a dual boot Sony Viao.  There was not enough space for the
windows XP partition.  The Viao doesn't have a CD tray, only an
adapter for the unit does, so the BIOS will not boot from it.
Frustrated, I just kept it in the tray, and on a reboot it found it
(minor miracle).  I used gparted to shrink my linux partition, then
move it to the right, then move the swap, then expand the windows
partition.  The process was not perfect - gparted crashed after it did
each step - but it did do each step.  Now windows has more space and
boots, as does the linux partition.

Doug