Virtualizing a running system

Tom Metro tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 14:20:54 EST 2009

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I would like to be able to take an OEM version of Windows installed on a
> computer, back it up, install Linux with some virtualization manager,
> such as Virtualbox, KVM/QEMU, Xen ...

I plan to try doing what you describe in the near future, and I ran
across this:

How to migrate existing Windows installations to VirtualBox
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows

Despite the title, it isn't a step-by-step howto, but just a few tips on
how to address some of the common problem areas, and links to some
useful tools.

The procedure Ted posted sounds like a good starting point.

> ...those apps only run on say Windows NT...

One of the installations I plan to try virtualizing is Windows NT, but
I'm not optimistic. I suspect the available tools and techniques are
only tested on Windows XP.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro