Stupid (?) Network Question: Is ADSL Full Duplex?

Kent Borg kentborg-KwkGvOEf1og at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 9 12:28:08 EDT 2009

Gregory Boyce wrote:
> If the outbound link is saturated with BitTorrent data, the latency of
> these TCP/IP ACKs will rise, causing poor efficiency.

Ah, that makes sense, though I would have thought that backing off just
a little from the maximum upload bandwidth would be enough for little
ACKs to get through yet it seems I need to back off to about half of the
capacity. Maybe I am wrong about how far I have to back off; my download
rate is very jumpy, it is hard to tell how much download capacity I have.

Thanks,

-kb

P.S. Oh, and don't try to make Vonage calls when saturating the ADSL
link: the calls sounded great to me but the person on the other end
couldn't hear much more than that I was saying something.