Firefox eats my CPU like I eat ribs

Matthew Gillen me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 29 10:41:31 EDT 2009

Bill Ricker wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Frank DiPrete <fdiprete-Wuw85uim5zDR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> It happens - first thing I do with FF is install script block and ad
>> block. make the swag go away ;)
>
> i use noscript plugin, since it provides fine scale control.
> only pebmit what you want.

I find that noscript combined with flashblock (and a cpu monitor in your
panel or somewhere you can always see it) allows you to pinpoint CPU-hogging
sites (and sometimes the third-party ad provider is actually the guilty
one).  Usually the CPU usage jumps as soon as you allow a particular site.
It makes for slightly more work when I want to watch a movie, in that many
flash movies embedded in web pages are also embedded in javascript, so you
need to allow javascript for the site, then flash.

Matt