Ubuntu

David Hummel lemmuh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 18 08:51:47 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM, James Kramer <kramerjm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Really if you don't want to deal with some bugs, then you should not upgrade to the latest version, 8.04 is an lts so would be a good option if 9.04 doesn't work for you . They are pretty stable considering the 6mo release schedule but you will find bugs.
>>
>> And finally are you really considering giving up ubuntu for a test version of debian freebsd because of a driver bug?
>
> I just installed the latest version of Debian 5.0.
> I typed
> sudo dmesg
> and the most wonderful thing happened.
> The system is really fast and responsive.
> Setup was a breeze.

Second that.  The Debian installer has improved a lot (thanks also to
help from Canonical).  Debian has also been more stable for me and
feels less bloated than Ubuntu.  At this point I don't have any
compelling reasons to use Ubuntu over Debian, and of course there's
the warm fuzzy feeling that Debian is completely community-supported
and not controlled by a company which could disappear at some point.
That said, Canonical and Ubuntu are part of that community as well and
in general it's been really good for Debian...