rsync followup - what did I run?

David Hummel lemmuh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 28 08:52:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Richard Chonak <rac-7q86n6wRh+gPnHn3N7+5xA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I find it more reliable if I add --checksum .

It is, but this option is usually overkill and will significantly slow
things down, due to all the disk i/o involved in calculating an MD4
checksum for every file that has the same size.  Remember there is
already a whole-file checksum on the receiving end to make sure files
were transferred correctly.  One case where --checksum does make sense
is if you know you have files of the same size that change frequently
(which is the case with some db stores).