internet connection

Bill Bogstad bogstad-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 11 17:39:41 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM, j. daniel moylan
<moylan-ghOWAqTlX+RSq9BJjBFyUp/QNRX+jHPU at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> yup, i poured over all the man pages without enlightenment.
> but then, i poked around in ubuntu forums, found nothing and
> decided to make a post there.  a check in that process
> uncovered a post with the clue for which i had been looking.
> the NetworkManager "available to all users" button needs to
> be pushed as well as the "connect automatically" button.
> then the wireless comes up on boot.
>
> additionally, /etc/init.d/networing restart and ifup now
> work as expected (ifdown always did), using the data in
> /etc/network/interfaces.

That's just so weird that I decided to take a look at what happens on
my laptop when I select "available for all users".
It APPEARS that it copied all the settings into a file in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.  It makes me wonder if that's
the file that matters (rather then /etc/network/interfaces).

The ArchLinux wiki page for NeworkManager imples this might be the case:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

(Search for 'Available to all users'.)

Bill Bogstad