iPad

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 12 12:11:38 EDT 2010

On 04/12/2010 09:45 AM, David Kramer wrote:
> For Android in general, yes.  For the Motorola Backflip from AT&T. no.
> AT&T has modified the software in many ways, including replacing severa=
> of the built in apps with their own, and replacing the software
> installer such that their apps cannot be uninstalled, and only software=

> from the Android Market can be installed.  You cannot write your own
> programs and install them.  As you say that's the carrier, but the only=

> alternative (for AT&T users) is to buy a Nexus One from Google directly=

> for $600.
>  =20
A couple of things. First, I have not tried to develop a new app yet so
I'm not sure if I would be able to install it.
In June there will be a number of new Android phones available for AT&T,
including some from HTC and Dell.
It is true that the default apps cannot be uninstalled, but there are a
number of apps that you can use in place of those. You certainly can do
a google search. The Yahoo Search panel on the home screen certainly can
be removed. There are a number of search Widgets you can download to use
Google Search. I installed OpenSearch, and it works fine.

One of the things I used to do with the BlackBerry was to move apps I
didn't want to see into a folder, but in the Android (and iPhone) you
can flip through the apps so fast that it really does not matter. But,
the bottom line is that the Backflip is not a totally open system like
the Nexus One.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846