iPad

Dan Ritter dsr-mzpnVDyJpH4k7aNtvndDlA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 12 23:44:26 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 07:48:35PM -0400, Mark J Dulcey wrote:

> But in these cases, the disabled parts of the chip may have been turned
> off for a reason. They don't work at all, they work but fail under some
> operating conditions such as extreme temperature, or the chip overall
> fails to meet its power consumption and thermal specs if all the cores
> are enabled. Then again, they may be perfect chips that the company is
> selling off as the less capable versions because they don't have enough
> of the not-fully-functional parts to meet demand at the reduced price.
> So... is your 3-core CPU an honest sale if the fourth core is defective
> but a ripoff if the fourth core works?

My cousin the CPU ceramic packaging engineer says that yields are always
being pushed on the lines to the point where finding 1/4 dead chips is
perfectly normal, and it's quite rare that they dump fully armed and
operational chips as inferiors.

He's surprised that AMD and Intel haven't announced 5-core
spoilage variants of the new 6-core chips... yet.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.