Laptop Failure Modes (was Re: iPad)

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 13 13:52:16 EDT 2010

On 04/13/2010 10:02 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> The absolute worst notebook failure I've ever experienced was a WinBook=
 FX.  I went to lunch one afternoon.  When I came back I found that it ha=
d shut down.  The CPU had overheated so much that the bottom case had war=
ped, deformed so badly that the battery popped out.  Aside from the shock=
 of the meltdown I was surprised that it didn't start a fire.
>  =20
Heat is the worst enemy of electronic components. A while back when I
had a battery that lasted more than 3 minutes, on occasion if I closed
the cover and placed my system in the backpack it would be rather warm,
especially on weekends where I might leave it in the backpack all
weekend. Some of the low end portables may not have adequate cooling.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846