Flame War

Richard Pieri richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 13 20:12:41 EDT 2010

On Apr 13, 2010, at 5:52 PM, Derek Martin wrote:

> That's exactly what I said, only using fancier language.  True
> ownership is slowly disappearing in our society.

Slowly?

Now, this is getting dangerously close to flamebait, but Free Software is as much to blame as anything else.  If ownership is "recognize[d] as having full claim, authority, power, dominion, etc.," then I *can't* own Free Software except for that which I write myself and even then not always (specifically in the case of software distributed by the FSF (I wrote pop3.el but I don't own it (yes, RMS has the paperwork on file))), nor can I own anything derived from Free Software.

An interesting philosophical conundrum, yes?

--Rich P.