Flame War

Richard Pieri richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 14 11:05:38 EDT 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 9:08 AM, john saylor wrote:

> i would both agree and disagree. you seem to define ownership as a
> personal thing. one discreet individual owning some thing [this is a
> common definition]. with that in mind, it is true that the GPL does
> not allow ownership [absolute control issued from one individual].

There are two facets of ownership when it comes to intellectual property.  There is the ownership that the original creator has, be it a musician and his music, a programmer and his code, an author and his novel, etc.  The GPL does not directly affect original creator ownership.

Then there is what I purchase, the novel, the CD, etc.  I own that specific instance of the work and it is mine to do with as I please barring copying and distributing since that right is held by the Copyright holder -- the creator above.  The GPL does affect this facet of ownership including derivative works.

--Rich P.