Headless back-end (Re: Notes on VirtualBox)

Derek Atkins warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 22 13:02:54 EDT 2010

Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> VRDP is for accessing the console of the virtual machine, a la remote
> desktop (in fact, its an extension to microsoft's remote desktop
> protocol). That's per-guest. And at the guest level, not at the
> host-side VM management level. There's no "power on this guest" or
> "add memory to this guest" its simply "here's the console of this
> guest". Less than useful if you need to alter network interfaces,
> disks, memory, cpus, etc. allocated to a guest. So you still need
> their gui, or to ssh into the host and use vboxmanage to alter guest
> bits.

What's the security model of VRDP?  Is the connection to the console
protected (ala SSL)?  Can I control who can use VRDP to access a console
for a particular guest?   If so, this would certainly give me some of
the features I need.

-derek
       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available