Samba and Windows user ids

Jerry Feldman gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 26 17:04:34 EDT 2010

On 04/26/2010 03:31 PM, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 08:59:05AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>  =20
>> Actually, the Linux user names are different from the Windows Names.
>> Since there are only 7 people in our office, and only 6 or use use
>> Linux, I don't mind updating the Samba config.
>>    =20
> If there's any likelihood that your office will grow much in the next
> year or so, you may want to consider using this opportunity to match
> up the windows & linux usernames, etc.  The pain of doing that will
> never be less than now. =3D8^)  Managing the interoperation will always=

> be less of a headache if things basically match in both worlds.
>
>  =20
Our office is not planning on growing much. Maybe 2 people. I've got 4
people who have very short Windows uids who use the id on Windows and
Linux.  So, we are really talking about 2 users (including myself), but
I only use Windows for my company email, and I want to keep my 3-letter
Linux user name :-). The 7th guy is a sales guy who does not use Linux.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846