Free vs. pay versions (Re: Oracle Sues Google Over Android)

Edward Ned Harvey blu-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 19 08:39:37 EDT 2010

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
> Behalf Of Matt Shields
>
> paying the huge cost.  The one big problem I've had with not using RHEL
> is
> that when I need to get support from EMC and Qlogic for my SAN
> connectivity
> they will not help me if I'm not running RHEL.  So I'm on my own to
> figure
> out the problem.

I've had similar situations ... Where I overwrite the redhat-release file,
and overwrite the graphics files and so forth, which make software able to
distinguish between RHEL and Centos ...

For *applications* it seems to work well.  I can trick synopsys into running
on centos, no problem.

For *hardware* it does not work well.  They require RHEL because they paid
RedHat to develop something proprietary, and the open source alternative
doesn't work.  (On Dell.)