Free vs. pay versions

Jarod Wilson jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 21 00:08:29 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Aug 20, 2010, at 6:14 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>
>> There's a RHEL supplemental repo/disc that contains some binary-only
>> vendor-provided bits. Red Hat doesn't use these to "build RHEL"
>> though. Nor does Red Hat have the source or the rights to redistribute
>> it if they did, otherwise, it would be part of the distribution itself
>> with sources provided. This sounds like something from the
>> supplemental repo.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, some of those are included on the distribution discs.  Specifically binary blob video and WiFi drivers.  If I'm not mistaken, CentOS does not include the same.  Not certain; it's been a while since I checked.

You're mistaken. There are no binary blob anything shipping on the
distribution discs, outside of device firmware that is licensed as
freely distributable w/o modification (intel wifi firmware, qlogic hba
firmware, etc). CentOS ships every package that RHEL ships on its
distribution discs (excluding the supplemental one, of course).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org