Color Nook

Richard Pieri richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 27 11:51:26 EST 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 11:16 AM, Kent Borg wrote:

> hold together acid paper--but even those books can last decades. Now, in the case of DRM, books mostly lose the ability to store knowledge for a yet-to-come generation.

This is why the DMCA exception for text to speech conversion is an important step forward -- because "incidental" to the process is a book in an accessible, unencumbered format.  There are restrictions on what can be converted (I leave it to the reader to look them up -- it isn't hard) but even so it is an important step.

--Rich P.