Internet service

Robert Krawitz rlk-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 6 13:42:52 EDT 2010

   Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 13:08:19 -0400
   From: Matthew Gillen <me-5yx05kfkO/aqeI1yJSURBw at public.gmane.org>

   On 06/06/2010 12:54 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
   > We currently have Speakeasy, which has excellent reliability.
   > Unfortunately, 1500/368 isn't exactly cutting edge speed any more, and
   > ever since Best Buy bought them they seem much less interested in
   > providing home service.
   >
   > We're not wired for cable, and when we looked into getting service, it
   > turned out that it would be rather expensive; they'd have to do a fair
   > bit of work since the closest cable run is a few hundred feet away
   > across an intersection.
   >
   > I'd like to run at least an ssh (for remote login) and anon ftp server
   > (for occasional low volume use).  I certainly want faster speeds,
   > particularly uplink (to upload photos, primarily -- uploading 700 MB
   > of photos is dreadfully slow and I just upgraded from a 20D to a 7D).
   >
   > Any suggestions?

   FIOS has pretty good uplink speed.  Pretty much every provider other than
   speakeasy has "no-server" clauses in their TOS, but the two services you
   mention are easy to work around by running those services on a non-standard
   (high) port (sometimes they'll port scan low-numbered ports looking for
   "servers").

We don't have FIOS in our area.

   Running ssh on a non-standard port isn't a bad idea even if you are allowed
   to run servers.

   Have you looked into WiMAX?

I took a look on wimaxmaps.org, and it appears that the closest point
is in Woburn, which is nowhere near us.