netbook question

Mark J Dulcey mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 3 10:17:00 EST 2010

On 03/03/2010 07:42 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I was just asked if it were possible to dual boot a netbook. Not owning
> of having used one I really could not answer the question asked. My gut
> feel is that generically yes, but that the netbook would have to boot
> from an external USB device (and since I know that is possible based on
> installfest experience), is it possible assuming enough HD storage to
> partition the HD (or SSD) to have both Windows 7 and Linux. (Not
> something that I would recommend).

There are no special obstacles to putting dual boot on a netbook. The
only question is space; you can't put two OSes on the ones with small
SSDs (my own Eee 900A is an extreme case, it only has a 4GB internal
SSD). You could put a second OS on an SD card and boot from that, as the
BIOS in all netbooks I am familiar with can boot from SD and USB as well
as from the internal drive.