OT: What we want are things that work; what we get is technology

Derek Atkins warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 8 11:02:08 EST 2010

David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Chris O'Connell wrote:
>> I tend to stay away from Linksys products in general.  As Brendan mentioned
>> earlier, they have a short life expectancy.  I've had stellar luck with both
>> D-Link and NetGear products.  Both manufacturers produce products that do
>> not tend to need to be rebooted often and don't fail every year like the
>> Linksys products do (in my experience) .
>
> Staples has several Netgear units, so I'm leaning in that direction.
>
>> I'm not familiar with the term DD-WRT though...
>
> http://www.dd-wrt.com
>
> It's a replacement open source firmware.  I will probably put it on my
> existing Linksys.  Part of me wants to try just that before replacing
> the whole thing, but these rewards coupons are going to expire soon, and
> they'll pay for close to half of it.  And I've had problems with the
> Linksys for a long time.

I have a Linksys (Cisco) WRT610N running DD-WRT.  It works pretty well
as a router, but as a wireless AP I certainly have issues.  Both my
Linux box and my GF's Mac periodically get thrown off the wireless.
I've seriously considered buying a cheap AP and turning off the
wireless in the 610N.

-derek
       warlord-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org                        PGP key available